Since 2013, the DOÑANA BIOLOGICAL STATION is a certified center according to the environmental classification UNE-EN ISO 9001 quality standards and the UNE-EN ISO 14001 quality standards (see Certificacion Gestion Y Calidad.pdf).
Through the environmental certifications, a series of commitments are acquired by all users of the center, which are mandatory. This document details the commitments and objectives set (EBD Política de Calidad y Medioambiente).
In order to meet these objectives, EBD counts with the following team, which is responsible for informing and advising on all aspects related to the acquired environmental certification, in addition to receive training to ensure continuous updating (contact: ebd_calidad[at]ebd.csic.es):
- Quality Management and Environmental Management: Pilar Bazaga y José Mª Gasent.
- Management of hazardous waste: Ana Carvajal.
- Maintenance Service: Mª Carmen Quitero.
- Occupational Risks: María González, Pilar Bayón, Antonio López y Francisco Miranda.
The obligations focus on the one hand on the proper management of waste, both those generated in laboratories and those usually produced in any office. The EBD has containers for all following waste: paper, plastic, batteries, printer cartridges, lamps and chemical waste from laboratories.
On the other hand, EBD is committed to saving natural resources (water, electricity and gas), making responsible use of electricity, heating and air conditioning, water facilities and equipment and infrastructure of laboratories (performance report).
Some practical advice related to waste management and efficient management of natural resources:
- Take advantage of natural light whenever possible and rationalize the use of air conditioning. Be sure to close windows before connecting the air conditioning
- Do not leave an empty unit with lights and / or air conditioning on or any other unnecessarily connected devices. Set up your computer in energy saving mode. Reduce the use of elevators to the essentials.
- Reuse paper whenever possible and print only if necessary.
- Use only the water necessary to wash equipment or samples, make use of the average discharge in tanks, close the taps and notify any leak.
- Before depositing a hazardous waste or washing containers with hazardous waste, you can find information on the classification of containers (depending on the type of waste) on the doors of the laboratories. For any questions, consult the personnel assigned in each laboratory and / or Antonio López.